Friday, September 5, 2014

Smoke Rings

Science Experiment #1

This is about ELEMENTS.  I put blue food coloring in a baby food jar with cold water.  And I put tin foil over it and a rubber band over it so it would stick.  I put a hole in the aluminum foil with a pencil.  In the big jar, I put very hot water.  I flipped over the baby food jar into the big jar and put it under the very surface of the hot water.  Then I tapped the bottom of the baby food jar and blue smoke rings came down into the hot water.

I learned that:

~ cold water is heavier than hot water because cold water molecules slow down and stick together
~ hot water molecules spread out and zoom around because they are hot and the heat makes them wild

Things I would do differently next time:

~ add more food coloring because if you look at the pictures, you'll see just a tiny bit of blue in the hot water

In the end:

~ I just dumped all the cold blue water from the baby food jar into the hot water and it turned really blue
~ We watched videos about the way molecules act in different states of matter (solid, liquid, gas). One of them was very dumb because it was so short and weird.











No comments: